Thursday, February 5, 2009

Beautiful Footprints

Romans 10:14-15 - "How then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'"
I absolutely love that verse. I love how it narrows down the description of what preaching and witnessing should be like. We obviously shouldn't hop on mission trips simply because we like the location but I don't think that being called is emphasized nearly enough. I recently had a conversation with a friend who told me that she was going on a mission trip because she prayed about it. I waited for her to go on and tell me that God had specifically called her but she didn't. Is that all missions have become? If we pray about it and don't get struck down by fire then we assume that God must be calling us? I just don't understand. I highly recommend this verse to anyone considering and praying about missions.
I also love the last part of the verse, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news." I got to read this verse to a group of girls on our Thanksgiving mission trip to Atlanta. A few girls were complaining of sore and blistered feet after we had taken a city walk on the first day and then helped at the SHO Chili Outreach the next day. At first we all had a good laugh about how "beautiful" their feet were but then I think it sort of hit all of us. As Christians we have good news, we should be bringing it to those around us. Our feet weren't beautiful in the sense that we had new Jimmy Choo's and pedicures, they were beautiful because that day God had used them to bring good news.
In all actuality no one's feet were that bad, nothing a band-aid wouldn't fix. It made me think about the disciples feet and how beautiful they must have been. I mean we aren't talking two hour city walks around nice, paved Atlanta. They walked from city to city on dirt roads wearing sandals. Talk about leaving some beautiful footprints! What kind of footprints are we leaving?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is off the chain. please write a book...please