Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day!

I'm missing Atlanta a lot today. It's MLK day and it's a pretty big deal there. I keep getting distracted from the homework that I am supposed to be catching up on this holiday. I'm missing those beautiful smiles with rotting teeth and the inexplainable motivation that many of my friends in Atlanta seem to have plenty of. I miss the conversations about everything from the weather to the sovereignty of God. I really can't think about any of it without a smile being brought to my face and feeling a tug at my heart. I truly love those people and I LOVE to see what God is doing in and among them. Which brings me to another thought.
People are People. Easily said, easily done? Do we live that out with our actions? The way we treat people? Do we give everyone an equal amount of respect and love? One of my teachers recently asked our class an interesting question. If we were in a situation where we had the chance to save only one, your dog or a complete stranger, which we would choose? A dog or a stranger? I immediately chose the stranger but looking around the room confused me. Most of my classmates and friends chose the stranger, the human life and soul, but a few were unsure. Really? An animal over a person? Really?
It's getting easier and easier for me to treat people the same. To look past stereotypes and see who they really are. To ignore what I've heard about someone but to really get to know them. Sometimes it's challenging but I have yet to find a situation where it wasn't worth it. It's easy to tell yourself that you treat all people the same, believe me, I've don it. A friend and I recently had a conversation about it applies to everyone. Treating homeless people like they are beautifully and wonderfully made is great, because they are. But this also applies to the people who don't have the same morals and values that you do. The kids at school who freak you out with all their weird clothes and jewelry. The annoying underclassmen who keep asking you for directions. People who don't seem to care about anyone even half as much as they care about themselves. But if you really love God, it's impossible not to love His people. Love isn't always convenient, it's definitely not always easy, but with God, it's always possible. Always. God is love.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Very thought provoking kt! I love how you mentioned our discussion in BINF. I don’t care who it is or if I know him or not, human life is way more important than a pooch! God’s using you in great and mighty ways girl!

Unknown said...

This is one hundred percent truth! Write a book girl! SERIOUSLY, WRITE A BOOK.You're writing is incredible and it keeps me thinking. I am positive that God will continue to use you as it is evident He already has. Sorry to leave such a long comment when you dont even know me but seriously girl if your older than sixteen give me your number! Keep it up though. And think about writing a book! Not even joking!